Costa Rica is renowned for its bananas and tourism, but there is much more to it than that. It is the country’s girls, who make for an ideal company to hang out with and explore the city!
Costa Rican women are often considered to be the best looking in entire Central America, and lots of people agree. Known as Ticas, the women resemble Europeans more than other Latinas.
If you are looking to know more about meeting and dating women from San Jose, this guide covers all the essentials.
Daytime Dating in San Jose
For a tourist looking for the best possible combination of attractive girls, bustling population, and safety, the capital San Jose is the best city to visit.
Given the large population, there are a lot of options for daytime dating. You can try meeting university girls at places like La Calle Armargura. If you are looking for upscale areas, Escazu has a mix of shopping malls and night clubs.
Mall San Pedro is always crowded with hot Ticas, making it the perfect place to show your game during the day. Sometimes you might not even need a game, and a simple Hola could break the ice.
Other popular shopping malls include:
- City Mall
- Avenida Escazu
- Plaza Real Cariari
Downtown San Jose
Located just 50 cents worth a bus ride from San Jose, this place buzzes with little shops with young women working in them. You’ll meet many tourists in the area as well.
A 3-hour bus-ride away from the capital city, Puerto Viejo is a superhit vacation destination oozing with tourists and locals alike. Everyone’s here for a party, and European backpackers are known to let themselves loose here.
Around an hour’s drive from San Jose, the place is famous for a laidback lifestyle, and the women like to go easy – the perfect recipe for something adventurous.
One of the most underrated places to meet girls, supermarkets house model resembling ladies working in the food section.
Dating at Night in San Jose
The real fun in San Jose begins post-sunset. Being Central America’s most visited country, Costa Rica is full of expats who are out to have a good time.
Nightclubs and Bars
Thanks to the spread out, the geography of the city, nightclubs, and bars are found everywhere. Choosing the right one might be tricky for a tourist, so here are our top recommendations based on real-life experiences:
- El Cuartel de la Boca del Monte
- El Garito (Guanacaste Province, Tamarindo)
- Club Vertigo (San Jose)
- Le Loft (Jaco)
- Jazz Café (San Rafael, San Jose Province)
- Salsa 54
- Hoxton Pub, Los Yos Boulevard
- Castro’s Discotheque
- Hotel Del Ray
- El Pueblo
Suburbs of Escazu and Santa Ana are far away from the town but worth checking if you are on an extended vacation.
Hotel Del Ray and El Pueblo are amongst the top destinations where the party never ends.
Please be extra careful during the night, as it is difficult to tell the prostitutes (yes, there are plenty of them) from genuine single women.
Meeting Costa Rica Women Online
Online dating is the perfect option for those who are looking to save time and build the foundation in advance. If you use the online option well, you will have a few phone numbers to call right away as soon as you land in the country.
Simply being a gringo might not guarantee a hook-up here, as San Jose is full of expats, and there would be many like you. On the bright side, the Ticas are better at English compared to many Latinas, which makes meeting women easier.
AmoLatina.com is the most populous dating site and offers a good return for your time. It helps you filter out women who speak English and are located near the place of your travel. It has verified profiles of singles looking for a relationship, though a bit of extra effort might land you casual relationships as well.
Tips for Dating in San Jose
- Learn elementary Spanish – Learning Spanish would often earn you brownie points throughout Latin America, though there is a decent English-speaking population in San Jose.
- Yes is not always a Yes – Strange as it may sound, Ticans avoid saying No to your face. So, don’t be surprised if she gave you a false cell number or didn’t show up even after agreeing to a date. It’s just their way of saying No politely (and strangely!)
- Respect women – It holds everywhere, and Costa Rica is no different. Do not treat women as sex objects, no matter how many prostitutes you run into.
- Being westerner is normal – Costa Rica sees more westerners than you think, so don’t bring it up to establish your perceived higher position.
- Costa Rica is liberal – Do not assume the people to be traditional just because it is a developing country. You will meet many beauties who are modern and westernized.
- Conversation – Invest your time entirely to your date and try getting to know them, rather than just waiting to get in her pants!
- Brace up for prostitutes – Costa Rica (particularly San Jose) has plenty of them, and a rich-looking foreigner (perceived rich by default) is an easy target. Full-time prostitutes are looking to hook up a few times a month to keep paying their bills.
- Don’t expect punctuality – It is widespread for Ticans to turn up half an hour late for a date night. It is a societal and cultural thing, so do not take it to heart when it happens to you.
Wrapping it up
Costa Rica is a beautiful country driven by tourism. You’ll find some amazing beauties in San Jose who will guarantee you a good time, provided you bring out your top game. Even though there is competition from other foreigners like you, the effort is worth it.